Sunday, May 23, 2004

Re-acclimatising to my bicycle

It appears to me that the bike course is going to have a bigger influence to me that I have previously thought. Why the thinking? Well, I was getting a craving for cycling today, and as I got out my trusty red bicycle, the feeling hit me. For the first time in my life, I looked upon my bicycle as a puny, vulnerable piece of transportation. That I nearly fell when I mounted it again did not help the impression. There I was, wobbling away on my bicycle, as if I was learning cycling all over again.

I got quite peeved when I reached Bedok Jetty; even though I overtook most people on my bike, it now took a lot more effort just to get the pedal moving. Contrast this with a twist of the throttle on a motorbike. What compounded matters was that I couldn't experience the feeling of travelling at 30-45 km/hr as and when I could without significant effort on the part of my legs! Indeed, I was in a need for speed!

I paused, and took in the surroundings. Anglers waiting patiently for their catch, joking with their friends, reading a book quietly, or just making aimless pictures with their crayons, other cyclists weaving through the chaos of pedestrians on the cycling track with ease, and perhaps some peace brought me back to the pleasure of cycling.

The reason that I was into cycling in the first place was that I could savour every single moment of travel. The birds, the sweet scent from the flowering trees, the cool breeze of the wind as it gently caresses your cheeks, and the sight of others relaxing are all some things that zipping at 30-45 km/hr can never provide.

Dearest bicycle, I am back!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home